Re: alpha architecture imported in debian-ports.org

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 08:49:33AM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 19/05/2011, at 12:51 AM, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > Has anyone stepped forward to provide
> >alpha build daemons?
>
> Yes, Bill and Witold have set up build daemons and we have
> communicated with the debian-ports maintainer (off list) and hopefully
> building of alpha specific packages will start soon.

Saw in another message the build times and space requirements for a few
packages, and the person who posted them posited a 4x time requirement
to do the builds on his machine.  Based on the quoted 2-hour build time
for iceweasel compared against what it takes me to build firefox on the
433au, I'd say 4x is a good rough guess.  The quoted build time for the
standard kernel package is unexpectedly high for the "fire-breathing"
Alpha: I suppose that's due to building a kernel with *everything*
enabled in the config, because my local "pick and choose" builds from
the standard kernel.org source tree don't take anywhere near that long
to complete.

Would offering the use of my PWS as a buildd pool member be at all useful?
I'd definitely have to add a considerable amount of disk space, and take a
more critical look at the reliability of my broadband connectivity.  The
other thing would be whether buildd pool members are expected to run
particular versions of OSs, tools, etc: I can see where it might be a
problem building unstable/experimental packages with
unstable/experimental infrastructure (although given the current state
of Alpha, whatever guidelines/rules there are might be relaxed a bit).
Sorry if these concerns are addressed in on-line documentation somewhere.
Just thinking out loud (babbling?) :-).

--Bob