Re: Upgrading Sarge to Etch - failing to boot new kernel

On 30/07/2010, at 1:25 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Michael Cree <mcree@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
On 30/07/2010, at 9:24 AM, Ian Las wrote:

Built a custom 2.6.27 kernel on a 164LX system with Alphabios and it works withouit any problems but unfortunately it seems that a kernel >= 2.6.23
does not work for a 164UX system.

What is the reason for the problem and any chance to fix it in the future
?

Second guessing that the problem (which you notably don't report) is that the kernel fails to even start booting properly when booting with aboot I suggest that you haven't updated aboot on your boot disk to the newest
version.

Well, no, it looks to me like he has to use MILO, as he mentions a
164LX with AlphaBIOS and a 164UX which only has ARCSBIOS.

Fair enough. Obviously a better description of the problem is required from the initial reporter.

Cheers
Michael.