Re: Upgrading Sarge to Etch - failing to boot new kernel

--- Michael Cree <mcree@orcon.net.nz> schrieb am Fr, 30.7.2010:

>> Well, no, it looks to me like he has to use MILO, as he mentions a
>> 164LX with AlphaBIOS and a 164UX which only has ARCSBIOS.

>Fair enough.  Obviously a better description of the problem is required from the >initial reporter.

>Cheers
>Michael.

Sorry for my incomplete description.

But my problem is as you have guessed correctly using a newer Linux kernel on

a 164UX system.

The last kernel which works for me on the 164UX is 2.6.22.

Have tried newer versions (2.6.27 and 2.6.31) on a 164LX with Alphabios which

work correctly.

This means it is not mandatory to use SRM Console with newer Linux kernels.

The 164UX has unfortunately ARCSBIOS only.

All my trials ended with kernel panic.

Below the end of the message log:

Major devices are: ramdisk (0001) fd (0002) ide0 (0003) sd (0008) sd (0041) sd (
0042) sd (0043) sd (0044)
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT]
...Image loaded into memory, entry @ 0xfffffc0000310000
Setting up Milo reboot parameter block at 0xfffffc0000000140
Boot line is bootdevice=sdb2 bootfile=vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sdb6
Bootstrap complete, kernel @ 0xfffffc0000310000, sp @ 0xfffffc0000304000
...turning on virtual addressing and jumping to the Linux Kernel