Re: Smaller?

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:53:33AM -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>     I also would like to use busybox, but I'm not sure about installing
> it -- will apt remove the other utils? The busybox page at
> packages.debian.org says it doesn't create the symlinks for all those
> utils, that would be a drag to have to do all that manually.

No; busybox is not a complete replacement for coreutils AFAIK, and even if
it were, coreutils is an essential package.  If you try to replace coreutils
with busybox, you'll basically never be able to use the Debian package
management tools again.

If you really need to get your alpha system down below 256MB (which is
probably much more feasible with another port where binaries are smaller,
e.g., i386), then it doesn't really sound like Debian is the right system
for you.  At any rate, you probably should be talking to the Debian-embedded
folks about tips and tricks for reducing system size.  One thing would
probably be to use an apt post-invoke hook to dump /usr/share/doc, since you
shouldn't need that at runtime.

BTW, aptitude is indeed a great tool for automatically managing
dependencies, but only *if* you can afford the overhead of aptitude itself:

Package: aptitude
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 8968
Maintainer: Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org>
Architecture: alpha
Version: 0.4.1-1
Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6-3.11, libc6.1 (>= 2.3.5-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.2), libncursesw5 (>= 5.4-5), libsigc++-2.0-0c2a (>= 2.0.2), libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.2-4)

Package: libsigc++-2.0-0c2a
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 96