Re: Multia Install -- Success!!!

On 06/02/2006 04:14:13, Harmon Seaver wrote:
    Yes, I'm aware of that -- but the major heating problem is caused
by the hard drive, especially when people put bigger ones in there,
like the 3.5" drives. Since mine won't have a hd, just a flash card, I think that won't be much of a problem. Plus it's going to be outside, under a tiny root to keep the sun and rain off it, because I need to mount it on the wifi antenna mast.

actually I think that the multia is not very well cooled at all, with or without harddisk. I don't have the controller with internal 2,5" scsi cable, but if I had it, I would have put a 2,5" scsi harddisk (which I already have) and use the spare PCI slot for a PCI cooling fan (pretty cheap, really cold)

Can the multia boot from a compact flash disk?
I should give it a try!
I didn't know about this capability, which could really be useful.
I know that the SRM cannot boot to IDE disk, I tried with a ATA Flash of 256MB size which I borrowed from a HP thin client and it didn't work. Someone told me that the Multia could boot to IDE disk from Alphabios but I haven't try it yet.

    I've got a 2.2ghz intel box running debian on my desk, along with
a Mac G3, so I don't need the multia there. 8-)

Me too, but Multia is the Universal *Desktop* Box.

> Just drop the installation after deselecting everything on tasksel.
> Next use dselect to add only the required packages and you're ready.

     Ah, that would work better I guess. I kept trying to use tasksel
and just choose laptop and unix server, but even so it adds x windows, lpr, exim, etc even tho you don't choose them. Weird.

Yes. Deselect everything from tasksel and end the installation just after (it would install a couple of packages anyway)
Then [apt-get install <packages> | dselect] and you'll be satisfied! :)

    I've got another little box for a liteweight desktop box -- a
hacked I-opener. Just a LCD screen with the computer mainboard on the
back, running Jailbait linux on the 16mb flash. It's 233mhz intel, 128 ram, usb wifi. I've got to solder some leads from the sound chip for RCA cables to hook to my stereo so I can play mp3 mounted nfs from my desktop box upstairs.

very nice.
maybe this could be better (and safer!) than the multia for running 24x7... I'm just worried for the health of your Multia! :))

bye!
gl