Re: Simple question? AlphaStation refuses to boot...

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:25:35AM -0800, AS200 (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> Instalation manual http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch05s01.html.en
> Suggests: boot xxxx -flags 0 (where xxxx is the CDROM)

This should be correct for a system with a VGA (i.e., not serial) console.

> http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/alpha/ch-rescue-boot.en.html
> Suggests: "Booting from CD-ROM is simply a question of putting the CD-ROM in the drive and booting"

Pretty useless description... from a uselessly old manual.  You didn't
actually say which version of Debian you were trying to install, but I do
hope it wasn't slink. :)

> http://alum.wpi.edu/~tfraser/Stories/alphalinux.html
> Suggests: boot dka600 -file boot/linux
> The boot command boots the Linux kernel, which should start the Debian
> install program automatically.

Not a correct recommendation for current versions of Debian.

> http://www.pancake.org/geek/as200.html
> I have NOT tried this yes as it suggest changing to ARC and others seems
> to primarily suggest SRC.

The current release of Debian cannot be booted from ARC.  It only includes
aboot as a bootloader, which is SRM-only.  (This should be documented in the
current manual.)

Unfortunately, I don't know what this boot problem is.  Some comments in the
past suggested that it was a bug in recent versions of aboot.  If you're
willing to put some time into this, perhaps we could put together some test
images for you using different versions of aboot, to see whether that's the
case.

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:05:28AM -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>     This could be the same problem I've been experiencing trying to
> install debian on my Multia. I was trying to install Debian 3.1 alpha,
> but it hung during the aboot process everytime. Googling, I found
> mention on usenet that some alpha machines simply won't boot the newer
> debian releases for install, but that you can install the debian 3.0r6
> potato release, and then do dist-upgrades to get the newer stuff
> installed and running.

For the record, 3.0r6 is woody, not potato.