Re: installation of aboot fails

Hello,

So I did some investigations. What I found is fascinating. Keep reading!

> > I have two disks: one SCSI and one IDE.
> > Tru64 used spans over the SCSI disk (system) and half of the IDE
> > disk
> > (used for the /home partition).
>
> How was this IDE disk partitioned before you started?

Here's the layout as showed by fdisk before the partitioning with partman from d-i:

# fdisk /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Detected an OSF/1 disklabel /dev/discs/disc0/disc, entering disk label mode

8 partitions (unit: sectors)
#	start		end		size		fstype
a	0		131071		131072		unused
b	131072		393215		262144		unused
c	0		19807199	19807200	unused
g	393216		10100207	9706992		unused
h	11209388	19807199	8597812		AdvFS

The problem is the partition c which spans over the entire disk and overlap other partition. As quoted from Steve Langasek:

| d-i won't be able to recognize a pre-existing Tru64 label as a valid
| partition table, because it can't cope with overlapping partitions.
| If you install to such a disk, d-i will initialize a new disklabel.
| It modifies the label so that no partitions overlap one another.

So no wonder that the AdvFS is then lost undert Tru64 after d-i (partman) has re-layout the disk... ( However, it is quite trivial to fix the problem under Tru64 when you know the exact geometry of the partition h ).

> Is /dev/hda the CD?

The other IDE device is indeed the CD-ROM.

> > The installation process works fine until the step "Install aboot on
> > a hard disk". This step failed.
>
> Can you elaborate. What happened exactly? Error message? Did you see
> anything on the other terminals (with the logs)?

Yes!

During the d-i partitioning step,  I have choosen the following options:
"Use the largest continuous free space", and then
"All files in one partition (recommended for new users)"

After confirming the partitioning, I got the following layout (checked with fdisk)

Detected an OSF/1 disklabel /dev/discs/disc0/disc, entering disk label mode

9 partitions:	<<< YES 9 PARTITIONS, NOT 8!!!
#	start		end		size		fstype
a	1		1954		1954		ext2
b	1955		158205		156251		ext2
c	158206		10646487	10488282	ext2
d	10646488	11209387	562900		swap
h	11209388	19807199	8597812		AdvFS

(the units are in sectors)

How does it come that a BSD-like partitioning has _9_ partitions???
There's something wrong here, IMHO!!!

During the installation of aboot, aboot failed with the following error code:

error: bootcode overlaps with partition #9. If you really want this, use -f9

I believe, this should have work (OK, the Tru64 partition would have been lost, but don't mind for now). The problem with partition #9 was already noticed by fdisk right after the partitioning with d-i. It reports "9 partitions" instead of 8...

Isn't that partition #9 wrong, anyway? And notice that swriteboot will complain if you pass -f9 as option...

I guess, for the problem I am interested with, I must drop the d-i partitioning step (partman) and do it manually with fdisk. Can someone tell me how to proceed? My 2 days experience in the Debian Alpha-Linux business isn't enough to figure it out alone!

TIA,
Loic.