Re: installation of aboot fails

Hello,
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 05:38:26AM +0200, Loic Domaigne wrote:
> I have two disks: one SCSI and one IDE.
> Tru64 used spans over the SCSI disk (system) and half of the IDE disk
> (used for the /home partition).

How was this IDE disk partitioned before you started?

> I'd like to install Debian (latest stable release 3.1) on the remaining
> space of the IDE disk (place left: about 5.7 Gb).
>
> After an automatic partitioning, I got the following layout of the IDE
> disk (/dev/hdb):
>
> Partition Nr.	Space	Flags	File System	Mount Point
> #1		1.0M	K	aboot
> #2		80M	F	ext2		/boot
> #3		5.4G	F	ext3		/
> #4		288.2M	F	swap		swap
> #8		4.4G		(Tru64)

Who gave this listing? What does
fdisk -l /dev/hdb
tell you? Is /dev/hda the CD?

> The installation process works fine until the step "Install aboot on a
> hard disk". This step failed.

Can you elaborate. What happened exactly? Error message? Did you see
anything on the other terminals (with the logs)?

> 1) Can I boot the system without aboot? If yes, how?

No. (In principle there is another way, but its not recommended unless
you have specific reasons and Tru64 will not work with it and you
would need to compeltely repartition)

> 2) Is there a possibility to get aboot properly installed on the IDE
> disk? Perhaps by partitioning manually?

Well, first I need the info asked above. Then yes, you can install
aboot manually, but depends on how actually are your answers to the
above questions.

If you have another (Debian) machine install aboot-base there and have
a look at
file:///usr/share/doc/aboot-base/SRM-HOWTO/srm-aboot.html#BOOTING
with "Harddisk Installation". But please report the answers first.

> 3) If it is not possible to get aboot, booting Debian from floppy would
> be ok. How do I generate such a bootable floppy?

Yes. First lets see to get aboot working on your disk, because
floppies are fragile.

> Ah... Just noticed that the install process somehow spoil the /home
> partition for Tru64... Guess, I'm doing something more than wrong :-(

I was afraid such thing might happen given your layout. Can you please
fill a bug against installation report once this thread has settled? Then
this problem can be corrected.

Greetings

             Helge

--