Re: The Last Word on UDMA on Alpha?

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:16:24AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> I've been running my IDE disks on my 164LX ever since I got it, and
> they've run crappy the whole time.

> I've never got the 32-bit support to work, and I'm not really sure I've
> made DMA work either.  Turning on the 32-bit support is a sure recipe
> for a crash, it seems.

> My 164LX has two IDE controllers: its integrated, on-botherboard one
> (the CMD646, I believe) and a Promise 20269 PCI card.  This PCI card can
> do UDMA133 on a PC.

> But I can't make it do that reliably on the Alpha.  I've got 2.6.9 on
> there.

> Any ideas or suggestions?  Is IDE permenantly crapy on Alpha?  And if
> so, why?

> Also...

> What is the final word on what journaling filesystems work on Alpha?
> >From what I've heard here:

> ext3: OK
> JFS: broken
> Reiser3: broken (but it works fine for me)
> XFS: broken

I've been using XFS on alpha for years, with no more incident than an x86.
I've also never heard anything about it being broken on alpha except from
you, AFAIK, but perhaps I've just been less diligent at seeking out this
information than I should have. :)

It's also possible that the JFS problems are historical at this point; if
someone can get more concrete information about what was broken and when
(if) it was fixed, we can certainly still revisit the question of
disallowing JFS in the alpha installer.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer