Re: getting debian on a ds10 to autoboot

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 08:57:32AM +1300, Steven Jones wrote:

> I am trying to get an Alpha box running Debian to autoboot, the machine
> boots to the aboot prompt, but then I need to type 0 to get it to boot,
> I need it to auotboot.

> Second problem is how do I get the autoboot.conf to commit to disk? I have
> installed a new Debian 2.6 kernel, and the sym links have been changed to
> point to the new kernel, however at the aboot prompt the box still shows 0
> as the 2.4 kernel and no 2.6 kernel is shown.

The filename is aboot.conf, not autoboot.conf.  The actual path to this file
is /etc/aboot.conf, *relative to the root of the partition that aboot is
configured to look at*.  If you have a separate ext2 /boot partition
(because your root partition is not ext2 formatted), then the config file
you need to edit is /boot/etc/aboot.conf.  For that matter, the symlinks
that need to be managed for the kernels and initrds are also located in
/boot -- even though by default, the kernel packages manage symlinks in /
instead.  The bootloader management tools for alpha have always been less
mature than on i386, and this particular limitation hasn't been resolved in
time for sarge; but at least for fixing the future symlink management, you
can set link_in_boot = Yes in /etc/kernel-img.conf.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer