Re: getting debian on a ds10 to autoboot

Steve,

From SRM Howto:
5.6. Booting Linux
With the SRM firmware and aboot installed, Linux is generally booted with a command of the form:

	boot devicename -fi filename -fl flags

The filename and flags arguments are optional. If they are not specified, SRM uses the default values stored in environment variables BOOTDEF_DEV , BOOT_OSFILE and BOOT_OSFLAGS. The syntax and meaning of these two arguments is described in more detail below. To list the current values of these variables type show boot* at the SRM command prompt. This will also show a boot_dev variable (among others), this variable is read only and needs to be changed via the bootdef_dev variable.

So, set BOOTDEF_DEV to the device to boot (already is, as you are autobooting to ABOOT.) Set BOOT_OSFLAGS to the aboot.conf configuration number you want to autoboot. Set BOOT_OSFILE to blank, isn't required when sending BOOT_OSFLAGS as selection number.

Second problem:
ABOOT reads the /etc/aboot.conf file from the partition that was activated when ABOOT was installed/configured last.

Example /etc/aboot.conf file (from SRM HOWTO):
#
# aboot default configurations
#
0:3/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda3
1:3/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda3 single
2:3/vmlinux.new.gz root=/dev/sda3
3:3/vmlinux root=/dev/sda3
8:- root=/dev/sda3
9:0/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda3

If the /etc/aboot.conf file is not pointing at your new kernel, it will still boot the old. For example, if a line like so is option 0: 0:3/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-1-generic root=/dev/sda3 ro initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-1-generic
Then updating symlinks and the like will have no effect.

I would recommend leaving the original kernel alone, and adding another aboot.conf configuration for the new kernel. That way, if things go awry, you can revert back without having to remember the exact kernel line invocation needed to boot the box.

John Clymer

Steven Jones wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to get an Alpha box running Debian to autoboot, the machine boots to the aboot prompt, but then I need to type 0 to get it to boot, I need it to auotboot.

Second problem is how do I get the autoboot.conf to commit to disk? I have installed a new Debian 2.6 kernel, and the sym links have been changed to point to the new kernel, however at the aboot prompt the box still shows 0 as the 2.4 kernel and no 2.6 kernel is shown.

I have been unable to find anything in the howto's so far on fixing these 2 issues.

thanks

Steven
aka thing