Re: kernel-image packages for alpha in need of testing

Nathan,

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 07:21:46PM -0500, Nathan Poznick wrote:
> Thus spake Steve Langasek:
> > I will be preparing local debian-installer images based on these kernels
> > as well, which I should have ready this weekend, for those who would
> > prefer to test that way.

> I've believe that I've been bitten by this problem (Bug #243992), so I'm
> looking forward to finding out if this fixes me up. Since my alpha is
> currently sans-OS, I can't test out the kernel packages themselves, I'll
> be waiting for the d-i images based on this kernel.  Another added bonus
> for me is that the 2.4.26-2 kernels should include the fix to be able to
> install onto a DAC960 controller (where my disks are), and hopefully fix
> the problem I was having with my 4-port NIC (the PCI bug), thus solving
> all my d-i alpha woes in one stroke.

You can now find both a cdrom-mini.iso CD image and a boot.img netboot
image under <http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/fixed-alpha-kernels/>.
Please test out whichever is appropriate and let me know how it goes.

> As a random aside, what are the chances of the 2.4.26-2 (or greater)
> kernel being used in d-i before the release?  If they're not very good,
> do you think it would be possible to get the patch that Herbert applied
> to 2.4.26-2 (Bug #244585) backported to the version which will be used?
> It'd be nice to finally be able to install onto the Mylex controller...

The sid d-i daily builds already use kernel-image-2.4.26-1-generic.  I
don't know offhand if it's 2.4.26-2 or not, but as soon as the PCI init
bug is fixed in the archive, I'll definitely be updating.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer