Re: Best way to stop X from starting?

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:31:36PM -0400, Rob Dupcak wrote:

> Ulrich Teichert wrote:
> >Hi,

> >[del]

> >>I'm guessing that I can stop X from starting by moving the graphics card
> >>to a different PCI slot so that the x server wont find it, but is there
> >>another more elegant solution to stopping X?

> >Could you do a network login, or does the machine really freezes hard?

> It's frozen solid :-)  I can't get to it over the network

> >>I can't get to a prompt so
> >>editing various files is not an option unless someone has some magic
> >>incantations I can mumble.

> >Boot into single user mode. From the kernel-parameters.txt documentation:

> >S               [KNL] run init in single mode.

> Forgive my ignorance here, so all I have to do is enter something like:

> b -fl S

> at the SRM prompt and I should be set.  Wow... if that works, that is
> much too easy! :-)

Probably not *that* easy, as you usually also have to specify the root
device in the flags.  So possibly b -fl "root=/dev/sda2 S", or if you
have an initrd, b -fl "initrd=/initrd.img root=/dev/sda2 S".  To get
into aboot and *see* what your settings are, "boot -fl i" should do the
trick.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer