Re: Best way to stop X from starting?

Hi,

[del]
>I'm guessing that I can stop X from starting by moving the graphics card
>to a different PCI slot so that the x server wont find it, but is there
>another more elegant solution to stopping X?

Could you do a network login, or does the machine really freezes hard?

>I can't get to a prompt so
>editing various files is not an option unless someone has some magic
>incantations I can mumble.

Boot into single user mode. From the kernel-parameters.txt documentation:

S               [KNL] run init in single mode.

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Noticable One (Rotten Apples)