Re: Best way to stop X from starting?

Ulrich Teichert wrote:

I'm guessing that I can stop X from starting by moving the graphics card to a different PCI slot so that the x server wont find it, but is there another more elegant solution to stopping X?

Could you do a network login, or does the machine really freezes hard?

It's frozen solid :-)  I can't get to it over the network

I can't get to a prompt so editing various files is not an option unless someone has some magic incantations I can mumble.

Boot into single user mode. From the kernel-parameters.txt documentation:

S               [KNL] run init in single mode.

Forgive my ignorance here, so all I have to do is enter something like:

b -fl S

at the SRM prompt and I should be set. Wow... if that works, that is much too easy! :-)