Error in getmail after an upgrade

Hi all,

Last night I did an apt-get upgrade after about two weeks of no
upgrading and getmail has now failed. It worked OK the night before and
so its likely that something that was upgraded is causing this problem.

mikel$ getmail
getmail - POP3 mail retriever with reliable Maildir and mbox delivery.
getmail version 2.3.7

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/getmail/getmail.py", line 1605, in ?
main ()
File "/usr/lib/getmail/getmail.py", line 1568, in main
getmail (account, _locals).go ()
File "/usr/lib/getmail/getmail.py", line 422, in __init__
self.users.append ( {'re' : re.compile (re_s,
re.IGNORECASE),
File "/usr/lib/python2.1/sre.py", line 90, in
compile
return _compile(pattern, flags)
File "/usr/lib/python2.1/sre.py", line 136, in
_compile
raise error, v # invalid expression
sre_constants.error: nothing to repeat

A search on google (search for /usr/lib/getmail/getmail.py) showed some bug reports
for getmail 2.3.9 but I am using 2.3.7 and thats the current version for
stable that I am running. Does anyone know what might have caused this
error and what might be my best bet for getting around it?

Thanks from Mike
--
What good is an obscenity trial except to popularize literature? -- Nero Wolfe, "The League of Frightened Men"

Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.