Re: Debian alpha install with reiserfs support

I'm running ReiserFS on my PWS500au.

I had quite a time installing, however, as there was some sort of ReiserFS
bug in the Debian version of kernel 2.4.18 [or somewhere around there] that
crashed or scrambled data or something.  I believe more recent Debian
versions are fine (I'm currently running a stock 2.4.21 with no problem).

The easiest way to install it is to make 4 partitions.  Make the first a 20MB
one or so (if you are using SRM to boot, remember to leave 512 sectors or so
unpartitioned at the start for the aboot image).  Make the last a swap
partition.  Split the remaining space between the second and third.

Format the third as an ext2 system and install a base system onto it.  Once
installed, get the Reiser utilities and format the second as a ReiserFS.

Copy the /boot directory over to the first and reconfigure aboot to boot off
of it (abootconf).  You need a copy of /etc/aboot.conf on it as well (I moved
my /etc/aboot.conf to it and simlinked it backed). Copy the root file system
from third to second (correct fstab and aboot.conf to set the second as
root).

Reboot and you're done.

-T

PS:  If you don't want the third partition anymore (which you can now reformat
as Reiser), remove it.  Take the boot floppies and erase stuff off them that
you don't need (such as the ext2 utilities).  Copy the Reiser utilities onto
it (this usually requires adding libraries as well -- check with ldd).

Boot off the floppy, switch to the console, resize the second partition and
then use resize_reiserfs to extend the file system to fill it up.

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe@uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                        Dept. of Applied Mathematics,