boot a newer kernel than a 2.2.x

Hello,

I try different kernel flavor on my Personnal Workstation 500a (Miata,
SRM console), but never manage to boot any other kernel than Woody's
default (a 2.2.x series).
With a 2.4.18-1-generic and a 2.4.20-1-generic the boot failed with a
kernel panic and a long list of ide errors like "Drive ready seek
complete error" / "SectorIdNotFound", and with a 2.6.0-test9 it failed
ending with "cannot mount root fs /dev/hda1" / "RAMDISK too big".

Is it possible to boot any recent kernel on this kind of machine ? What
can I do to boot any of the kernels above ?

Thanks in advance,

yk