Re: jdk 1.4: what's alpha's future?

Bob McElrath wrote:
Adrian Zaugg [adi@geo.unizh.ch] wrote:

Dear Tom

Indeed this is a intresting question! But to conclude from the enormous
echo on this list, you might repost it on the RedHat AXP list: There are
some people who might could answer this...

Greetings, Adrian.

BTW: Does anybody know why Blackdown doesn't do a release for Alphas? Is
it complicated to compile the Blackdown Java for Alpha?

Yes.  I looked into this at one point.  There is some arch-specific asm
that must be written.  But if HPaq has 1.4 for Tru64, it should be
simple to adapt that asm for linux.  The source from Sun for 1.4 does
not, however, have alpha support.

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

I dunno if this is correct or not, but I have always suspected the lack of an "official" Java for the Alpha is fall-out from the days when SUN and DEC had competing CPUs. SUN didn't do Alphas for their software much like Apple doesn't do Alphas either. You could get SUN OS for the i386, but not the Alpha... By the time Java came out, the Alpha arch was pretty much on the way out, and probably didn't offer much of a platform "market". I don't think Compaq or HP wants to invest much in new software for the Alpha either This is just my opinion, though. No facts to back it up.

-Don Spoon-