jdk 1.4: what's alpha's future?

hp has 1.4.1 for vms and tru64, but not linux. the best i found is 1.3.1
from compaq's old site. kaffe is unusably slow and single threaded.
unfortunetly, the compaq fastvm isn't. netbean's menus on my ultra5 running
solaris (333mhz/2megs) are way faster! an ultra5 should not beat a dual
833mhz/4meg alpha. 8( my year old, not so fast pc at work, running sun's
hotspot, also kicks my alpha's ass.

is there any hope? or do i just save up for an smp opteron (and wait for
linux support to stabilize)? i assume hp has little interest in linux/alpha.

--
Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net>
DSA Key ID 0xE6CB97DA