Re: jdk 1.4: what's alpha's future?

Adrian Zaugg [adi@geo.unizh.ch] wrote:
> Dear Tom
>
> Indeed this is a intresting question! But to conclude from the enormous
> echo on this list, you might repost it on the RedHat AXP list: There are
> some people who might could answer this...
>

> Greetings, Adrian.
>
> BTW: Does anybody know why Blackdown doesn't do a release for Alphas? Is
> it complicated to compile the Blackdown Java for Alpha?

Yes.  I looked into this at one point.  There is some arch-specific asm
that must be written.  But if HPaq has 1.4 for Tru64, it should be
simple to adapt that asm for linux.  The source from Sun for 1.4 does
not, however, have alpha support.

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to
    be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge
    gives. A popular government without popular information or the means
    of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or
    perhaps both."
        - James Madison