Re: Raid-5 Problem

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:06:01PM -0500, Ryan Schaefer wrote:

> I've got a Digital Ultimate Personal Workstation (AS1200) with dual
> 533 procs running Debian unstable. The machine has a five disk
> software Raid-5 array using Linux Software Raid.
>
> When I installed it, under whatever the default kernel is for Debian
> Stable, everything worked great, the raid array started up sync'd
> fine. I've since upgraded to Debian Unstable and the 2.4.21 kernel. I
> need to re-sync the array now from a power failure and the following
> happens..
<snip>

Epilogue:

I pulled the drives out of my AS1200 and threw em back into my AS1000a
(5/500) running 2.4.21-2-generic and the machine rebuilt the array
fine and has been running for about 12 hours now without problem.

The big difference I notice, besides the type of machine is that the
AS1000a has an Adaptec 2940U2W controller on the built-in array.

Maybe there's a bug in the ISP SCSI driver? Maybe this is just a bug
that pops up on the Rawhide architecture? I dunno. I'm going to try
putting the Adaptec controller in my AS1200 to see whether that
changes it's behavior.

Another thing I noticed along the way was that 2.4.22-pre8 was able to
rebuild the array as long as no other activity was happening on the
machine. Once rebuilt, a medium amount of disk activity would cause
the machine to die (let me know if you want a print out of this
crash).

So.. I just thought I'd let everyone know my experiences.

--
Ryan Schaefer
rysch@chaank.com