Re: DEC Alpha XL 366 and IDE hard drive

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:

> I have an Alpha XL 366 machine, which has a 2GB SCSI hard drive. I
> thought I read somewhere that most Alpha systems had IDE as well as SCSI
> interfaces. I was thinking of adding a 6.4GB IDE drive that I have lying
> around. I opened the machine, and after lots of disassembling risers and
> stuff, I couldn't find the IDE connectors. Does this model not have an
> IDE controller?

	Yea, the XL-366 does not have an IDE interface, only fast-narrow
SCSI. I think only the 500MHz 21164A type machines and better had IDE
interfaces (save for the Multia with its laptop style IDE interface).

> If not, will any PCI IDE controller I install into it
> work? Or am I better trying to find a used SCSI drive to add as a
> secondary? If so, which kind of driveswill work with the SCSI controller
> that's in the machine?

	I do not know if a IDE controller would work in this system,
depends if it can handle its BIOS not being run (correctly). I have never
tried it, and alway stuck with SCSI. Any SCSI disk with a standard 50pin
(narrow) connector will work. I often put in an ultra controller in the
one of the PCI slots for faster disks, and only boot (milo+kernel) off a
small disk on the onboard controller.
	Have fund with your alpha. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |