DEC Alpha XL 366 and IDE hard drive

Hi everyone,

Once again, I have a hardware question (I'm new to the world of Alphas,
so perhaps you can direct me to another forum if this is not the
appropriate place for these questions).

I have an Alpha XL 366 machine, which has a 2GB SCSI hard drive. I
thought I read somewhere that most Alpha systems had IDE as well as SCSI
interfaces. I was thinking of adding a 6.4GB IDE drive that I have lying
around. I opened the machine, and after lots of disassembling risers and
stuff, I couldn't find the IDE connectors. Does this model not have an
IDE controller? If not, will any PCI IDE controller I install into it
work? Or am I better trying to find a used SCSI drive to add as a
secondary? If so, which kind of driveswill work with the SCSI controller
that's in the machine?

Sorry, I have no experience with SCSI (only theoretical knowledge from
reading), and the person I bought the Alpha from had no documentation
for it... :-(

Thanks a lot for your patience and help,

J-S

Jean-Sébastien Guay                    jean_seb@videotron.ca
                  http://whitestar02.webhop.org/