Re: DEC Alpha XL 366 and IDE hard drive

Well if you looked and didnt find, chances are you dont have an IDE
controller.  That's not such a bad thing though, cause i've heard
nothing but bad things about built in IDE controllers on alphas, and the
one on my PWS500 is _awful_.  It feels like an NFS mount. :P  So you can
add an IDE controller to your box, but dont rely on it to boot.  SRM
would have to be able to work with it to allow booting.  While i'm
fairly certain  that it's possible to buy such cards, i'd keep the
booting off of scsi, and buy a good card (Promise ATA100?) and just
compile support for it in linux.  I used a Promise ATA100 and it worked
VERY well in my box, that is until something had it's way with all of my
pci cards, and now i have a card that works when it wants to.

Richard Fillion
rick@rhix.ods.org