Problem making my system bootable

Hello,

I am installing Debian 3.0r1 on an Alpha XL 366 that I just got my hands
on. After doing the first parts of setup (right before rebooting for the
first time), I have the choice to make the system bootable, make a boot
floppy or reboot the system. If I choose to make the system bootable,
the installer just redisplays the introduction screen, and when I press
enter, I am brought back to the booting choice. It doesn't seem to do
anything to make my hard disk bootable.

I can still boot my system with the MILO diskette I made to install
Debian, by using the command "boot sda2:/vmlinuz-2.2.20-generic
root=/dev/sda8", which boots the kernel that is installed to my /boot
partition by the installer, but I would prefer to get MILO installed to
the hard drive directly (I made a 5MB FAT16 partition at the beginning
of my drive for this purpose) and be able to boot directly when I start
my machine... How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,

J-S

Jean-Sébastien Guay                    jean_seb@videotron.ca