Re: Floating point exception associated with python

On Friday 04 July 2003 11:31 am, Bob Kimble wrote:
> I'm running unstable on an AlphaPC and I'm having problems
> installing and upgrading anything related to python. All the
> packages now break during configuration, reporting a floating
> point exception. Here is an example message from when I tried
> to reinstall python2.2:
>
> Setting up python2.2 (2.2.3-2.1) ...
> Compiling python modules in /usr/lib/python2.2 ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/python2.2.postinst: line 49: 20390 Floating
> point exception/usr/bin/python2.2
> /usr/lib/python2.2/compileall.py -q $i dpkg: error processing
> python2.2 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
> status 136

I'm guessing the SIGFPE is from something that wasn't compiled
with -mieee (and probably ought to be, or maybe needs a source
patch).

> I even tried reinstalling python2.2 from source with the same
> result. My guess is that the problem is not with python per
> se, but with some library somewhere. However, I'm pretty much
> clueless on how to proceed. Any suggestions?

You could try compiling python from source with -mieee in your
CFLAGS.  That won't fix it if the SIGFPE comes from an external
library though.  If it doesn't fix it, you can use gdb to get a
backtrace.  Even with all debug symbols stripped away, gdb
should at least be able to tell you what library the SIGFPE
occurred in.

This SIGFPE/-mieee thing has actually been a running debate for a
while now...I don't know what Debian's current plans are for
handling it.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"