Floating point exception associated with python

Hi!

I'm running unstable on an AlphaPC and I'm having problems installing and
upgrading anything related to python. All the packages now break during
configuration, reporting a floating point exception. Here is an example
message from when I tried to reinstall python2.2:

Setting up python2.2 (2.2.3-2.1) ...
Compiling python modules in /usr/lib/python2.2 ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/python2.2.postinst: line 49: 20390 Floating point
exception/usr/bin/python2.2 /usr/lib/python2.2/compileall.py -q $i
dpkg: error processing python2.2 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 136

I even tried reinstalling python2.2 from source with the same result. My guess
is that the problem is not with python per se, but with some library
somewhere. However, I'm pretty much clueless on how to proceed. Any
suggestions?

Regards,

.... Bob