Re: SIGFPE and -mieee

On Saturday 05 July 2003 05:05 pm, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Tyson Whitehead <twhitehe@uwo.ca> writes:
> > I've prepared and tested a patch for gcc to address the
> > -mieee issue.
> >
> > The patch makes -mieee the default and adds a -mieee-disable
> > option to make it possible to reverse the default (maybe
> > this should be called -mno-ieee).
>
> I'd prefer -mno-ieee.

Agreed.  That seems to be the standard convention for disabling a
gcc feature.  Making a -m<option>-disable switch introduces
inconsistency and confusion.

> > I'll submit it to either the gcc mailing list, or as a bug
> > rebort against gcc, shortly.  Comments?  Suggestions?
>
> I'm somewhat indetermined about this. Let's see what the gcc
> list says about it :)
>
> I'd also suggest -ffast-math turns on -mno-ieee.

It makes sense.......OTOH, my understanding is that -ffast-math
is only supposed to turn on options that produce faster but
slightly incorrect results.  This is something a little
different--it doesn't produce "slightly incorrect results," it
causes certain apps to outright crash!  I don't know if this is
such a good thing to go under -ffast-math.

It should definitely be implied by -O3, though, either directly
or indirectly.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"