Re: Konqueror and Javascript

> Konqueror runs very nicely in KDE3 but on some sites with javascript it
> crashes instantly. For example if I point it at ebay.co.uk it only gets as
> far as the html title before it crashes and disappears. Other sites with
> simple javascript display and work fine. Is there something that I can do
> about this? I googled for answers to this one already and can see that KDE
> believe this is due to some faulty distro-specific packages. I'm guessing
> that I can replace less than the entire konqueror package to solve the
> problem but I dont know the specific areas to look.

Actually, you have to replace a lot more than the Konqueor package.  You have
to replace a good deal of the underlying kde libs as well -- with ones
compiled with -mieee.

If you are interested, see the earlier thread about SIGFPE and -mieee.

The real joy comes when you try to recompile the KDE libs with -mieee.
Dpkg-buildpackage runs into some problems with the KDE metaclass class stuff
and you have to manually assist the whole process along.  *grin*

Later  -T

PS:  I intend to get a GCC patch to make -mieee the default for Alpha linux
out the door someday soon.  That way the next maintainer build of the KDE
stuff will be good to go.

PPS:  If you want to try rebuilding the base libraries, the Konqueor
libraries, etc (whatever all else it depends on) with -mieee, check the
Debian KDE maillist.  I believe I posted an email about what you have to do
to get around the KDE metaclass build problems.

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe@uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                        Dept. of Applied Mathematics,