Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Schindler" <edschindler-linux@comcast.net>
To: "Jan Lentfer" <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
Cc: <debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 2:18 AM
Subject: Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

> Jan Lentfer wrote:
>

> > I tried to build 2.4.21 from the unstable kernel-source package on my
PWS 500a.
> > The build using make-kpkg wirks fine, installation, too.
> > But when the machines boots with 2.4.21 it hangs at IDE initialisation.
>
> I see exactly the same issue you do, but as a relative newcomer to both
> alphas and linux I was assuming it was something I was doing. PWS 500a,
> with IDE, no matter how I configured it, (default or stripped config),
> it would hang the second time (I think) it queried the hard drives.
>
> Probably not a deb-specific issue, since I'm trying to build the kernel
> from the source tarball as part of a pure-linux-from-scratch install on
> the alpha box. I had a lot of compile issues with 2.4.20, moved to .21
> when I read that a lot of alpha-specific patches had gone into it. And
> it did compile a whole lot more cleanly. It just doesn't boot.
>
> Ed
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Hi,

I too had no luck getting a 2.4.18 or a 2.4.21 kernel running on my up1500 +
qlogic scsi adaptor it would hang there every time. I've now put in an ide
drive but I haven't had time to try compiling a kernel for that. I tried the
precompiled one that is in testing but had no luck with that either. I've
had a compiled 2.4.18 one working for quite somew time on an xp1000.

good luck.

cheers,

PS there is a 2.5 kernel source in testing has anyone had any luck with
that?

Peter Watkinson
peter.watkinson1@ntlworld.com