Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

Jan Lentfer wrote:

I tried to build 2.4.21 from the unstable kernel-source package on my PWS 500a.
The build using make-kpkg wirks fine, installation, too.
But when the machines boots with 2.4.21 it hangs at IDE initialisation.

I see exactly the same issue you do, but as a relative newcomer to both alphas and linux I was assuming it was something I was doing. PWS 500a, with IDE, no matter how I configured it, (default or stripped config), it would hang the second time (I think) it queried the hard drives.

Probably not a deb-specific issue, since I'm trying to build the kernel from the source tarball as part of a pure-linux-from-scratch install on the alpha box. I had a lot of compile issues with 2.4.20, moved to .21 when I read that a lot of alpha-specific patches had gone into it. And it did compile a whole lot more cleanly. It just doesn't boot.

Ed