Re: srm nightmare, milo & kernel future questions

generic 2.4.18??  <cough> <cough>  Generic 2.4.18 has a ton of bits missing
for the alpha architecture.  When we did the HP updated kernel 2.4.18 for
RH-7.2 on alpha we added 27 patches to fix various bugs.

Interesting. Were any of these fixes to the SRM nonvolatile variables problem some people (like me) were having, or something that could be related to it?

If you are going to
use a generic kernel, I would like to suggest that you try 2.4.21 which has
most of the previously mentioned patches.

Is it "bad" to use a generic kernel in general? I know I have a pc164, and if I'm bothering to compile a kernel in the first place, should I compile it for pc164 or generic? I was trying to compile generic because I was trying to match the distributed kernel. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks,
Chris