Re: srm nightmare, milo & kernel future questions

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 12:49:57AM -0700, Chris Hecker wrote:

> >Don't use gcc-2.9.5 on alpha. I just does not work. Use 3.2 for instead.
>
> Yeah, I searched and found that right after posting, thanks.  But, from
> reading about it on various list archives, it seems unclear whether you can
> just install 3.2 out of unstable without it replacing 2.95.  I read the
> "transition" document and was slightly confused.  I'd really rather not
> hose this machine any farther.  If I can just install it in addition to
> 2.95 without breaking a stock woody install, then I'll try it.  The C++ ABI
> change scares me.  Or somebody could just send me a binary srm_env.o built
> against the generic 2.4.18 (can you tell I come from the windows
> world?  :), assuming that's a safe thing to do.

Yes,
 just install gcc-3.2 in addition to gcc-2.9.5. You then should change
 the link for gcc to point to gcc-3.2 (It probably points to gcc-2.9.5).
 This is one of the nice things about gcc that you can easily put
 various different versions of it on your machine and use them in
 parallel.

 	Andrew