gcc still not catching up with ccc ?

Hi list,

I remember that I read somewhere that since the release of gcc 3.2 it was
catching up with the performance of the Compaq-CC. So, as I was a little bored
today I bootstrapped gcc-3.3 on my PWS 500 and compiled "treepuzzle"
(www.tree-puzzle.de) to use as a benchmark for the compiler performance.
For gcc I used CFLAGS="-O3 -ffast-math -mcpu=ev56", for ccc CFLAGS="-O4 -fast
-mcpu=ev56".
I don't want to go into the details of the computations I did, here are just the
results (program defaults were used, except were noted):

globin.a, 1.000.000 puzzling steps, exact parameter estimates
ccc = 120 sec (22,6 % faster)
gcc-3.3 = 148 sec (4,5 % faster)
gcc-2.95 = 155 sec

globina.a, 10.000.000 puzzling steps, exact paramter estimates
ccc = 1211 sec (20,85 % faster)
gcc-3.3 = 1419 (7,25 % faster)
gcc-2.95 = 1530

So, gcc-3.3 is a little faster than 2.95 on Alpha but still can't catch up with
Compaq's ccc (I used 6.2.9.506-4).

Anyone else did benchmarks like this?

Cheers,

Jan