Re: Debian 3.0 on AS1000A 5/333 won't shutdown/reboot

Hi list,

David Duminy wrote:

The device /dev/srm allows you to set the srm's variables from linux. I think you that 'echo 0 > /dev/srm/boot_osflags ' under linux is equivalent to the 'set boot_osflags 0' under SRM.

the /dev/srm device should be enabled in the kernel. Maybe you have to compile a new kernel to enable it.

Hope this will help.

OK, with your help I compiled 2.4.18 with srm_environment and the machine stills hangs at SRM after shutting down linux and it's trying to reboot with flag 0.

I tried to set all boot-relevant SRM parameters to other values but I didn't succed.

Does anyone still has a hint what to change?

The following parameters are set at them moment as follows:

- auto_action BOOT
- boot_osflags 0 (i.e. Configuration 0 of my aboot.conf)

With these parameters the machine
- goes up automatically (no stop at aboot prompt)
- but doesn't shutdown/restart after a 'shutdown -h/-r now'

My goal is, that I can reboot the machine remotely (as I can with Kernel 2.2.20).

Regards, Jens

I successfully installed Debian 3.0 on my Alphaserver 1000A 5/333.
Booting/Rebooting with aboot and Kernel 2.2.x works fine.

After i installed kernel-2.4.18-generic I have the problem that the
machine - shuts down to SRM and then
- tries to boot again with flag 0
- normal SRM-commands (i.e. set, boot) don't work anymore

To boot automatically I set 'boot_osflags 0' and 'auto_action boot'.

Even a 'boot <cdrom-device>' doesn't work anymore, because it calls the
flag 0 automatically

My questions:
- What would help to get a 'clean' shutdown/reboot?
- Is it possible to cancel the aboot-sequence at startup to set
'boot_osflags <empty>' (is a 'set boot_osflags' enough?)?

Thanks in advance,