Fwd: file time stamps/date error for alpha version

Debian/Alpha/Samba Users:

I wonder if anyone from this mailing list could confirm this bug report I sent
in on their alpha systems using samba ?

Subject: file time stamps/date error for alpha version
Date: Tuesday 20 May 2003 17:26
From: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd@ornl.gov>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org

Package: samba
Version: 2.2.3a-12.3

This bug seems to be unique for the Alpha version for stable and/or testing
(since stable and testing are both the same version at this time).  This bug
does not seem to be present on Intel versions.  We also have confirmed the
bug does not exist on version 2.2.8 for an AIX build which is not related to
the Debian archive, but may be of some use to debug.  We have not been able
to install from the unstable version source onto the stable Alpha system, so
we do not know if later versions have fixed this problem.

The problem is that files examined from Windows-XP, or -2000 (we have not
tested this on earlier versions of Windows) via the network neighborhood that
physically reside on Linux/Alpha/Samba machines of this version will have
their time stamp corrupted beyond recognition.  They must be "touched" on the
Linux side in order to correct the time-stamp corruption.

Files that have a known file extension to windows (that is they appear on the
tools-->file options--> and show a relationship between file extension and
application; for example .doc files are normally opened by microsoft-word) do
not appear to have this bug.  Other files, such as files with no extension,
or files that have an extension unknown to windows or not "learned" by
windows applications, do have this bug.

For example, if I have a file in a "folder" physically on the Linux samba
server and it's name is "test".  If I open this file with "notepad", whether
the file is changed or nor, the time stamp will be corrupted.

This bug presents major problems with timestamp reliability on
Debian/Linux/Alpha servers.

Most recently, I have been successful in building and installing the
Debian/Sid version of  samba (2.999+3.0.alpha24-1) from source using "debian
-b source".  The normal debian build/install process pointed to nearly all
dependency issues.  However, I found it necessary to also install
"python2.2-dev" which is not listed as a dependent package, before this
latest version of samba would build properly.

After installing this latest version, I found that this same bug still exists
in this version as well.  I opened a text file (smb.conf) with notepad being
careful not to allow windows to permanently "remember" this file extension in
it's list.  If I close notepad without changes, the timestamp is corrupt.  If
I change the file and then save it, the timestamp is correct.

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory