Re: Lots of D processes

On Friday 02 May 2003 08:20 am, Craig Small wrote:
> So I thought, but it seemed strange that all this happened all
> of a sudden.  Never happens in single user mode....
>
> I changed my fs from xfs to ext2 and are now recompiling the
> kernel with no xfs in it just to be sure, kupdated and sync
> are happy now, no D processes at all!

SHYTE--I just noticed you're running xfs.  What version of xfs
are you running?

I've been running an old xfs-1.0 release for a while now (1.0.2
iirc).  It appears to be quite stable, on alpha and i386.

About a week ago I decided to try XFS 1.2 just for fun.  It isn't
quite working so well, and I'm still trying to figure out why.
I'm having the exact same problems as you are--processes tend to
get stuck in 'D' state.  I'm tracking it down even as I type
this.

So far I've found at least one bug that seems to be related to my
problem.  Try grabbing my patch for it at
http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/alpha-lfs/patches/linux-2.4.20-xfs-alpha-deadlock.patch
and applying it to your XFS-enabled kernel.

I'm not completely certain this patch fixes the problem, but it
does seem to alleviate it a bit ('D'-state deadlocks don't occur
as frequently).  I'm currently also turning off XFS quotas to
see if that ends the misbehavior.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"