Radeon 9000 and Alpha Debian 3.0 r1 (machine posts!)

Hi,

I have found that the Radeon 9000 PCI is capable of posting on in an Alpha,
infact in perhaps poorest VGA supported Alpha, the Ruffian (164UX). Neither
the Voodoo3 nor any nVidia card will allow machine post.

Unfortunately, Im at a little bit of a loss on what to do from here. The
version of Xfree86
supplied doesnt seem to like this Radeon, even VGA mode doesnt work.

Using the "Radeon" driver I get:
 (EE) No screens detected

and using the "VGA" driver I get:
Fatel Server Error
Addscreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

It would appear I need XFree86 4.3.0 to get started, any more tips?

thanks,

Matt