Re: question

Bob Schmidt wrote:
Hi Again,

I added the line you said, when I run ifconfig not connected ppp0 does not
show up.  When I connect with wvdial and run ifconfig again ppp0 is added.
I have not even messed with kppp yet.

When I run route not connected ppp0 is not there.  When I run route
connected this is what comes up:

Destination        Gateway        Genmask        Flags    Metric    Ref
Use    Iface
209.206.177.5    *           255.255.255.255    UH    0            0
0        ppp0
(other stuff in between)
default                *                    0.0.0.0            U        1
0        0        s10

I ran pppconfig and then ran pon.  It turns on the modem but does not dial
or anything else.  I just hear the dial tone through the modem and thats it,
until I run poff then it shuts the modem down.  The funny thing is when I do
this after I close the terminal window the modem comes back on again.

Thanks for all the help, I have no clue.

Bob

Ah-ha! You have the "diald" package installed. The key is the presence of the "s10" as the default in the above "connected" route example.

DIALD is an auto-dialer program that sets up a "psuedo" interface that it monitors for traffic. If it detects a packet destined for the outside, it will initiate the dialing sequence and make the connection. It is a good program, but difficult to setup, IMHO. It will interfere with other dialing programs and produce the symptoms you are experiencing. You can get the same funtionality using the pppconfig setup program under the "advanced" section near the end of the setup screens. Just select the "demand" function. You will need to make a few other changes to get auto-dialing working, but they are simple to do. Holler if/when you want to do this.

Bottom Line: If you don't have some good reason to have DIALD on your system, then I would recommend you get rid of it! Either "apt-get remove diald" or "dpkg --purge diald" should get it out of the way. Once it is removed, you should see things start falling into place with either the pppconfig setup or with KPPP using the mods I mentioned in my first reply. Once you get manual connections working, you can easily setup auto-dialing or "demand" dialing. This is really neat on a network's "gateway" machine when it is physically some distance from other network machines.

Good Luck!

-Don Spoon-