Re: question

Bob Schmidt wrote:
Hi,

this is what my interface file says (typed by me, floppy drive not working)

# etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup (8), ifdown (8)
# loopback interface
auto lo
# the first network card - the entry was created during the debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
            address        192.168.0.8
            netmask        255.255.255.0
            network        192.168.0.0
            broadcast       192.168.0.255
            # gateway       192.168.0.1  (I commented out this line)

nothing about isp at all.  Any ideas?

Bob

p.s. I am a newbie when it comes to alpha computers, sorry

One thing I notice immediately is that you are missing a definition line for the "lo" interface. You tell it to start up automatically, but it isn't configured. I dunno how this happened... it should have been created during your install. Anyway, here is what I would do to fix it:

CHANGE:
> # etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup (8), ifdown (8)
> # loopback interface
> auto lo

TO READ:
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback   <--- add this line

The rest looks OK.

Regarding your original question about getting connected via your dial-up, there are several possibilities.... all involving config of KPPP. In order to pin-point the "problem" we will need some more diagnostic information.

1. The results of an "ifconfig" command both not-connected and connected. (this will tell us if all the interfaces are present. You should see a "lo" and "etho" interaface when not connected, and the "ppp0" interface should be added to these when connected via dial-up.)

2.  The results of a "route" command both not-connected and connected.
(this will tell us if the "defaultroute" is being set by the pppd program and is pointing towards the ppp0 interface. If this is not done, you will NOT be able to ping anything outside your LAN)

3.  Can you "ping" your ISP by name or only by IP number?
(this will point to a DNS problem)

This should get you started. Config of Alphas isn't significantly different from other CPU types. Getting the initial install running is the "hard" part, IMHO. Networking and Dial-up config is the same AFIK.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-