Re: question

Bob Schmidt wrote:
Hi All,
I have a quick question, I think I asked it before but can't be sure. I have a 433au, 256M of ram, external 56k modem running debian 3.0 r1. I have it installed, and everything seems to work except one very important thing. When I connect using kppp it goes through the motions, I hear the wonderful noise and it connects. But then it disconnects immediately and when I read the error report it says something like "needs password to authenticate itself" "can't find appropraite password". I am using PAP as authentication method.

KPPP by-passes a lot of the stuff the good Debian folks setup so you can use the "pon - poff" method of connecting / disconnecting. It will read the /etc/ppp/options file BUT it does not read the /etc/ppp/peers/provider file, which will over-ride the "auth" option in the "options" file.

This is probably your problem, and is quite common using KPPP with the stock Debian ppp files. What is happening is that the "auth" option is requiring your ISP to authenticate itself to your machine, and I havent' found one yet that will do this! The "fix" is to edit the /etc/ppp/options file and change the "auth" to "noauth". This will mess up security for PPP dial-ins to your machine, but not a lot of people use this capability. You also will probably have to re-do this edit everytime the PPP system gets an upgrade...dunno.

Why didn't you use pppconfig to setup the dialer then use "pon" to dial out? If you use the Debian stuff, you can setup demand-dialing quite easily, so it will autodial out whenever it needs something from the outside world. Much better than KPPP, IMHO......

When I use wvdial it connects and stays connected, but the problem here is that when I try to check my email or surf the web the computer goes to the network instead of the modem. I can see the lights flashing on my router, and no flashing on the modem. Any ideas? thanks in advance.

Check your "defaultroute" when connected ("route" command). It should be pointed at your ISP via ppp0. It sounds like you have it set to point at your network via your NIC. If it is just comment out the "gateway" entry in your /etc/network/interfaces file for your NIC (eth0??).

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-