Re: video card

Wow, thanks for all of the tips/help.  The problem is 100% better,
though not totally cured.

By "takes forever to get into X" i mean, it takes about 30seconds before
the console goes blank, then i see Matrox text on the top right, and
about 5seconds later the Xserver shows up.  It may not be forever, and
i'm willing to live with it, but the first time i started the Xserver up
i didnt even know if it was running for a while.

When running "xvinfo" it told me that the module couldnt be found.  So
then i recompiled X with the patch for the Millenium II.  Now i get:
rick@alpharhix:~$ xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
 no adaptors present

And performance is the same.  But... "-double" helped a lot.  I can
watch most mpegs at darn near perfect fps.  The higher quality ones lose
frames though.  DivX plays rather comfortably now.  The first few
seconds are very choppy, then it starts going smooth.

So at this point, i'm ready to just blame the video card/driver and
decleare that i've done all that i can do softwarewise.  I can live with
this performance for a while, atleast until i get enough money to buy a
nice new pci video card for it.  So whats a Good video card that i
should be looking towards?  I liked my pci radeon, but it fried and i
highly doubt i could find another one for sale in a store (got the only
one in Winnipeg from what i could tell).  So what would you suggest?
There's no way tog et a TV-Tuner card/video card to work with alpha is
there? (the tuner part).

Anyhow, thanks for the help.

And as far as the promise controller goes, i could see the cable being
bad, its rather...damaged, removing it from my old alpha was hard on it.
I'll try with another cable if ic an find one.  Thanks

Richard Fillion
rick@rhix.ods.org