Re: Prob getting X going with Matrox card and Woody and XFree 4

On 2002.12.21 06:45 Michael Lake wrote:
Hi all,

I have installed Debian 3.0 onto an LX164 onto a new hard disk and
can't get X going. It runs
fine with Debian 2.2 and XFree 3.3 on the old disk.
[snippage]
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" I entered:
        driver; mga
        memory; 8192
        framebuffer; yes
        mouse port; /dev/psaux  mouse; PS/2
        Monitor: HS 30-85  VS 50-120
        res; 1280x1024, 1024x786
        depth; 24

        it wrote an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file but startx shows the
error..
        "couldn't open module mga_hal
        screens found but none have a usable configuration.
        Fatal server error: no screens found."

I think dpkg-reconfigure is your safest bet. But for some reason it's trying to load the mga_hal module, which is part of the Matrox-supplied binary (x86-only) driver. Go into the generated file and comment out the 'Load "mga_hal"' line in the "Modules" section. I'd also recommend reading the XF86Config-4 man page -- several things have changed in this file from XFree86 3.x to 4.x, notably that you generally don't need modelines anymore.

Once you get XFree86 4.x running, it really is vastly improved in stability on the Alpha. Worth the effort.

-Doug