Re: DVD player for Alpha?

Thomas Evans <tom@23palmer.net> writes:

> Well, when I use the XVideo method, I often get failed X requests:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
>   Atom id in failed request:  0x2c0000b
>   Serial number of failed request:  2624

You should probably file a bug report about this. Xv helps a lot,
since otherwise the YUV->RGB has to be done in software, which is very
slow (takes probably 30% CPU).

> > > The performance is terrible - I can play DVDs with NT4 just
> > > fine on this machine (granted with an Alpha optimized player).

Hmm, is it available somewhere? I would really like to disassemble it
and see how they're doing things :)

> > Two things come to my mind:
> > a) Did you compile xine yourself for your architecture (optimization) ?
> > b) Do you have XVideo extensions available under X ? (see below)
>
> I did rebuild xine with ccc and used "-O4 -arch host" when I did.
> Then I realized xine was using libmpeg.so for mpeg decode and
> I downloaded tht and rebuilt it for my architcture - there was
> some improvement, but it still skips alot of frames.

libmpeg2 isn't optimized for Alpha at the moment; you could try the
libmpeg2 copy in the mplayerxp project, which is a fork from
mplayer. It has some Alpha optimized routines taken from the ffmpeg
project.

--
	Falk