Re: DVD player for Alpha?

Hello !
On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:14:05PM -0400, Thomas Evans wrote:
> I've been playing with xine and one of those DeCSS decoders
> on my 164LX (600Mhz) trying to get it to reliably play DVDs.

Reliable = xine crashes ?

> The performance is terrible - I can play DVDs with NT4 just
> fine on this machine (granted with an Alpha optimized player).

Two things come to my mind:
a) Did you compile xine yourself for your architecture (optimization) ?
b) Do you have XVideo extensions available under X ? (see below)

> Can anyone recommend a more efficient player?

I use mplayer (though I do not have an DVD drive, but e.g. mpegs from
a CD), self compiled on my LX 533 Mhz. If I have no XVideo, it chockes
at light loads. With XVideo I can have John running in the background
and still zoom up mpegs and watch them fine. I think Falk Hueffner
works heavily on the alpha optimization part. I can mail you a small
script which nicely downloads, builds and creates a deb of mplayer
which you can then easily install.

Greetings

        Helge

--