Re: 3d on alpha?

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 07:03:48PM +0100, Sevan Janiyan wrote:

> Nvidia also do PCI versions of their GeForce MX series, You can pick up a
> PCI Geforce 4MX440 for around £70-£80 in the UK.
> Would their be any probs running these on a alphastation as long as X
> supports it?

Yes, but...

1. There are some problems with older SRM or AlphaBIOS consoles, in that
   they are not capable of emulating the BIOS code on the nVidia cards.
   All the EV6 boxes seem OK, and SX/LX may work, being among the last
   of the EV56s to have updated consoles.

2. XFree86 does NOT support the nVidia cards under DRI, due to lack of
   documentation.

Other than those points, I've had success with and older TNT2 card
under XFree86 4.1.0 and newer, in 2D.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com