Re: kernel + xp1000 + debian

On Monday, 29 Jul, Peter Watkinson wrote:
> I'm trying to compile a new 2.4.18 kernel from the source in unstable on
> an xp1000.

I'm still using 2.4.17 on my XP1000 - hope it's close enough...

> Basically I want to get sound working. Is the sound in an
> xp1000 Soundblaster compatible?

If I remember correctly, it is.  I certainly had the native audio working
on an XP1000 with Linux drivers before installing an SB Live.  I don't
remember for sure which driver I used - I think it was a "100% SB
compatibles" (CONFIG_SOUND_SB).  The ALSA es18xx driver worked too.
The parameters for the sb driver are: io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5.

> ALso should I select generic or dp264 as
> system type?

Both worked for me, so I usually select DP264.

> I've compiled one kernel and that failed at boot because it
> couldn't find the scsi drive. Which scsi adaptor should i select in
> menuconfig?

Mine has a QLogic ISP - CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_ISP.

Nikita