Re: unaligned accesses

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 04:24:59PM -0400, Thomas Evans wrote:

> >However, as you're doing NAT, you prolly have installed some other NIC
> >in the PCI slot? What might it be, and what driver is it using?
>
> It's a random D-Link card using via-rhine.

This is my prime suspect.

> I have - the messages are from various places in the ipv4 network
> code, tcp_ack, udp_recvmsg, tcp_recvmsg are the more recent places.

Well, that's what happens if the packet is not "aligned", and the
components of the "headers" are accessed off-alignment. The driver may
be fixable, if it's one of Don Becker's bunch, in that you can force
the message to be copied out of the receive buffer into an aligned
data area; please look at one of his other drivers (the original TULIP
was one, perhaps it still has the remnants), looking for code that is
conditionally compiled (or not) when ALPHA is the architecture.

Good luck.

 --Jay++