Re: Bloody alpha ignorant

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:37:09PM -0400, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:31:42PM +0100, Philip Kendall wrote:
>
> > I believe that Tru64 and *BSD do require c to be the wholedisk though
> > (certainly my FreeBSD Alpha has that, although I actually know very
> > little about FreeBSD really).
>
> Linux, OTOH, uses the device name without the partition number as the
> "whole disk", which is, IMHO, more logical.

For reference, my FreeBSD box has /dev/da0 and also /dev/da0{a,b,c,e}.
/dev/da0c is a partition with the same size as the whole disk (but I
suspect this still doesn't include the partition table, whereas
/dev/da0 does??). Do see the quoted comment above about my FreeBSD
knowledge, though.

Phil

--
  Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>